Some personal insight from chanting

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Some personal insight from chanting

Post by FaZheng on Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:30 pm

I started chanting last week "Namo Amitoufo" to go along with my Chan practice. This has had some interesting effects, if I can call them that.

The first one is that after chanting, the Buddha's name continued going in my mind with out any personal volition on my part. I have practiced other mantras in the past and have never had that happen before.

I had the intuition that I had been put on a path leading towards full awakening by doing this practice. Like events were being moved around. I guess you could say we are all on a path towards full awakening and chanting just made me aware of that.

I also had the intuition that I had practiced Pureland and Chan in a previous life. Which would make sense, since I am a white guy living in Midwestern US and this practice comes natural to me.

I had some interesting meditation experiences which I won't go in-depth here. Just that they were not occurring prior to me chanting.

FaZheng

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-01-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Some personal insight from chanting

Post by malalu on Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:35 am

I would say continue to make this part of your practice! It seems to resonate well with you.
malalu

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-12-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zenzen on Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:34 am

I wake up in the morning to the sound of my radio alarm clock. Sometimes a song will continue playing in my head in the morning shower and I joyfully whistle along the tune. Wink
zenzen

Number of posts : 52

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FaZheng on Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:00 pm

Thanks, Malalu.

Zenzen, I have that happen also. Especially at work where there is no music. It's amazing what wacky songs will come into my head. Sometimes, I haven't heard the song in years.

There is some difference between that and what I am saying about the repetition of the Buddha's name. I don't know how to put it.

FaZheng

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by malalu on Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:15 pm

I think I may understand a little, FaZheng. When I recieved transmssion of the mantra of Avaloketesvara and began using it in daily practice, I found it was very powerful for the first while. Still is, but I can actually say that I think I had a small glimpse of what possible "Bodhicitta" or altruistic compassion may be.

As others kindly reccomended to me, try not to become to attached to these things, and keep practicing!

Yeah, Zenzen. That does happen! I don't use a radio for waking, but sometimes I will get a song stuck in my head as well. Lately it has been "mantra music" usually which can't be too bad occupying the mind...
malalu

Number of posts : 129

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FaZheng on Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:27 pm

malalu wrote:I think I may understand a little, FaZheng. When I recieved transmssion of the mantra of Avaloketesvara and began using it in daily practice, I found it was very powerful for the first while. Still is, but I can actually say that I think I had a small glimpse of what possible "Bodhicitta" or altruistic compassion may be.

As others kindly reccomended to me, try not to become to attached to these things, and keep practicing!

Yeah, Zenzen. That does happen! I don't use a radio for waking, but sometimes I will get a song stuck in my head as well. Lately it has been "mantra music" usually which can't be too bad occupying the mind...

Perhaps it is best left at that, Wink.

I have a book that my aunt gave me many years ago called "Road To Heaven: Encounters with Chinese Hermits" by Bill Porter. I had never bothered to read it until today. I wanted to share with you a little snip.

One of the mountains we visited was Tailaoshan just inside the northwest tip of Fukien Province. A Buddhist layman we on the trail led us to a cave where an eighty-five-year-old monk had been living for the past fifty years. In the course of our conversation, the monk asked me who this Chairman Mao was whom I kept mentioning. He said he had moved into the cave in 1939 after the spirits of the mountain appeared to him in a dream and asked him to become the mountain's protector. He hadn't been down the mountain since then. Disciples and local villagers brought him the few things he needed. And he didn't need much: flour, cooking oil, salt, and once every five years or so a new blanket or set of robes. His practice was the name of the Buddha: Amitabha, Buddha of the Infinite. After so many mountains and so many hermits, we were finally feeling at home with the infinite.

/|\

FaZheng

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LauraJ on Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:52 pm

Hi FaZheng,

It is wonderful! The mantra is clearly a part of your mindstream. Take care to keep it there, like flowing water.

At the time of our death we are frightened and confused and can't recognize the white light of liberation. Those who have chanted Amitabah's name with sincerity and devotion will be guided by him to the pure land for rebirth there. It takes dharma and karma, and you're tending to both /\

I am happy for you!
Namo Amitoufo!

Best,
Drolma

LauraJ

Number of posts : 791
Registration date : 2008-12-24

View user profile http://www.buddhistlounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by zenzen on Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:12 am

FaZheng wrote:Thanks, Malalu.

Zenzen, I have that happen also. Especially at work where there is no music. It's amazing what wacky songs will come into my head. Sometimes, I haven't heard the song in years.

There is some difference between that and what I am saying about the repetition of the Buddha's name. I don't know how to put it.
I think I understand what kind of a difference you may mean.  Wink No need to say more! Smile 
zenzen

Number of posts : 52

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top