The Buddhist Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What brought you to Buddhism?

+9
Will
Adamm
Dharanidhar
zenzen
malalu
davcuts
Geishawhelk
caz namyaw
LauraJ
13 posters

Go down

What brought you to Buddhism? Empty What brought you to Buddhism?

Post by LauraJ Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:06 am

What brought you to Buddhism?

I found it by accident. I met somebody who was a Buddhist and introduced me to the ideas, and it just clicked. No philosophy or religion had ever suited me so well. I wasn't searching for anything, I just ran into it.
LauraJ

Number of posts : 791
Registration date : 2008-12-24

http://www.buddhistlounge.com

Back to top Go down

What brought you to Buddhism? Empty Re: What brought you to Buddhism?

Post by caz namyaw Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:39 pm

I was introduced by my father and have been practising ever since, it has only ever bought me benifit and great fortune.

peace

xxx
caz namyaw
caz namyaw

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Geishawhelk Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:56 pm

It was back in 1992.
My good and wonderful Roman Catholic mother sent me a book, she said I simply HAD to read.

The book was "The Tibetan Book of Living & Dying" by Sogyal Rinpoché.

I haven't looked back since.
Geishawhelk
Geishawhelk

Number of posts : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by caz namyaw Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:59 pm

Geishawhelk wrote:It was back in 1992.
My good and wonderful Roman Catholic mother sent me a book, she said I simply HAD to read.

The book was "The Tibetan Book of Living & Dying" by Sogyal Rinpoché.

I haven't looked back since.

Good book thats The book of the dead is what bought me old dad to tibetan buddhism, ive never read it all but looks interesting.

peace

xxx
caz namyaw
caz namyaw

Number of posts : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by davcuts Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:58 am

I got involved with Buddhism right after 9/11. Like a lot of people at that time I was questioning what I believe and what I don't believe. I went to my first Buddhist class nearly seven years ago. I liked it so much I kept going back. My experience with Buddhism has been bittersweet. Finding Dharma was a blessing, how I found it was not. By that I mean people need to do something I was foolish not to do. Investigate the tradition in which you plan to practice with. Study your potential teacher very carefully. If not you may wake up one day and feel Dharma has been more of a curse.
davcuts
davcuts

Number of posts : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by malalu Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:13 am

I've felt a strong resonance for years, slowly reading some books by HHDL. A state of unsatisfaction led me to a meditation class in the TB tradition, although I think it may have found me, so to speak. I do find that things just happen and work out in strange ways when it's not expected.

Dave, I think that I somewhat understand you. My teacher gave the same cautious advice when I expressed the interest in taking refuge/precepts.
malalu
malalu

Number of posts : 129

Back to top Go down

Post by zenzen Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:24 am

I don't consider myself as a buddhist or any other -ist for that matter. However, there are not many things that are different between me and the average buddhist. It's simply that I wouldn't want to make names of myself, not even to that direction.

My story started with the training in martial arts. Initially there was no written knowledge or study of texts but simply the awareness practice, movement and training of empty-mind. Later on I figured out most of the basic things myself and then gradually found suitable reading as well.

To me, practice in real life is more important than any writings or teachings. Both are necessary though.
zenzen
zenzen

Number of posts : 52

Back to top Go down

Post by Dharanidhar Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:02 am

davcuts wrote:I got involved with Buddhism right after 9/11. Like a lot of people at that time I was questioning what I believe and what I don't believe. I went to my first Buddhist class nearly seven years ago. I liked it so much I kept going back. My experience with Buddhism has been bittersweet. Finding Dharma was a blessing, how I found it was not. By that I mean people need to do something I was foolish not to do. Investigate the tradition in which you plan to practice with. Study your potential teacher very carefully. If not you may wake up one day and feel Dharma has been more of a curse.

How you relate to the Dharma may begin with an introduction through the filtered view of a Sangha but it is then your own decision to seek enlightenment in your own way.
If you follow others down their path, it would not be their fault if you found it unsuitable, nor should it be a source of bitterness or attachment to past troubles.

I've seen many in India trudge from one guru to another leaving a trail of regret behind them. The hunt for a saviour figure is simply evidence that the person has not yet accepted that the true 'Dharma' is an internal journey, often rocky - no guru can do it for you.

I dip in and out of a Sangha and have been connected with Buddhism for around 37 years. I find it best not to be attached to Sangha except in mutual support. I started with the Evans-Wentz Tibetan Book of the Dead, then the Dhammapada, meandered through the Upanishads and Rig Veda and ended up in my own space, close to the Mahayana but closest of all to the Dharma. Wink
Dharanidhar
Dharanidhar

Number of posts : 37

Back to top Go down

Post by Adamm Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:48 am

In 2002 after my 2nd back operation i was feeling a bit low and one night just before i drifted off to sleep a face came in to my "vision" (eyes closed) a friendly smiling face.... i didn't know who it was but it made me feel very calm and happy.....a few days later i picked up a book at a book store, and almost fell over when i saw the image of the face i had seen a few nights previous........ it was the Dalai Lama.......and amazing experience......
Adamm

Number of posts : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by LauraJ Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:53 pm

Adamm that is so cool 😄
LauraJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Adamm Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:30 am

yeah it was pretty amazing... i had experienced premonitions previous to that time ...but they were usually to do with people and places i knew...... this was different.....it was like he was telling me "it's time" as in get out of your funk and find a path......
Adamm

Number of posts : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by malalu Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:53 am

Adamm. That's great! Good story! Personally, even though it's a little eery at times I just love it when those experiences happen(you seeing the book, not feeling down-I've been there too!). Pure coincedence, as if I'm thinking "what are the chances?". I've had some myself over the years and though they may only be slightly related to where I am now, I feel as if they are "nudges" in a particular direction or a way of telling us "wake up! look!" Mine tend to usually only be in regards to spiritual matters, maybe those are the one's I notice more? Good to pay attention in those instances, I think. 😄
Can't think of too many better faces to see! (maybe he was doing "tonglen" on you 😉 ?)
malalu
malalu

Back to top Go down

Post by Will Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:27 pm

Always been interested in Eastern thought and almost anything occult. Started reading the Upanishads, Patanjali, varied Buddhist works etc. in my teens. Admired the ecumenical approach of Blavatsky, Olcott & their gurus. Since Blavatsky & Olcott traveled all the way from USA to Ceylon to support the Buddhists against the Xtians and then took refuge in the Triple Jewel while praising the Dharma do highly, I decided one day to find a temple and also take refuge.

I started poking through the Los Angeles phone book and arbitrarily picked a temple in Chinatown. I called and was referred in broken English to another temple, Gold Wheel. There, a couple of weeks later, the Master Hsuan Hua performed a very simple refuge ceremony and it was done. There was one odd & inspiring thing that happened during that phone call to the unknown bhikshu (I guess he was a monk)- even before he spoke and during the chat - a distinct cool, refreshing breeze came forth from the telephone. So I can confirm that advanced Buddhists are clearly cool.
Will
Will

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post by christopher::: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:06 am

Hello friends! Thank you for sharing your stories.

I think for myself the initial seeds were first planted when i watched my mom do yoga and meditate in the late 1960s. It seemed to help her find peace. Later those seeds were watered while watching the Kung Fu tv series, in the early 1970s. I still have memories (which may or may not be accurate) of a show where David Carradine was locked up in a hot box in the sun with someone else for a few days. They opened the box, the first guy crawled out looking half dead. Carradine stepped out calmly, said that he wasn't effected by the heat, cause he had meditated. I never forgot that, it was a revelation, that context and situation were not all powerful, that our experiences could be transformed by the training of our minds.

In another show I remember one of his Shaolin masters at the temple feeding food to a theif, at the back gate. Young Caine asked why he did that, the man was "bad." His master said something like, "When this man goes to the river to drink, does the water turn away? When he walks in the rain do the drops seek to avoid him? If neither the rain or river pushes him away, why should we?"

With these seeds planted early in my life, events seemed to unfold from there. I've been drawn especially to Taoist philosophy and Zen Buddhism, although i often feel like the world is my primary teacher, with dharma lessons jumping out, here and there...

When least expected, from a diversity of sources, all quite naturally...

sunny
christopher:::

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2009-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by malalu Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:52 pm

christopher::: wrote:

"When this man goes to the river to drink, does the water turn away? When he walks in the rain do the drops seek to avoid him? If neither the rain or river pushes him away, why should we?"[/i]

I like this quote, Christopher! It is a good model for an altruistic attitude of compassion! I never watched the origional series, but did see some of the re-make series. I had the chance to meet David Carradine once, since they usually filmed in and around my city. Brings back memories...
malalu
malalu

Back to top Go down

Post by christopher::: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:30 pm

Hello malalu. I watched the re-make once and was not comfortable with it. But that is cool that you met David Carradine, and yes, i agree, that story provided a rather nice model of altruism, compassion as well as nonjudgementalness- especially for a young boy. I was perhaps about 12 or 13 years old at the time. Its stayed in my memory ever since.

Number of posts : 58

Back to top Go down

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:47 am

For a decade I was into Kabbalah - not the red string/Madonna stuff, the real thing. Then I became interested in Buddhism. The two worlds are very similar in some ways. In some ways not.
Karma Dondrup Tashi
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Number of posts : 51

Back to top Go down

Post by Kunga Lhadzom Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:12 pm

as a child...i remember a Buddha statue (incense burner) my mother had...i was mesmerized by it...

as a child...i remember hearing about Tibet on the t.V....caught my attension...

as a child i absolutely loved watching 'Kung Fu" on t.v....wanted so much to emerse myself in this stuff...

high school...very interested in India & Eastern religion/philosophy

college & beyond...experimented with drugs...to explore my mind.. like a scientific experiement....had only peaceful/spiritual experiences...

in 1995 i read an article in the Asian American press about a Tibetan nun that died from being torchered in a Chinese prison....soon after i got a book about Tibetan Buddhism...read it on & off for about 7 years....then i felt ready to find a teacher...i prayed to Buddha...the next day i talked to my teacher on the phone...i talked to him for about a year...then i met him.....took refuge in 2003 with HH Sakya Trizen....

Now i get overwhelmed a lot...
My interest wanes...like the waxing of the moon...
No interest in rituals....
Still in close contact with my teacher...
Kunga Lhadzom
Kunga Lhadzom

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2009-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post by LauraJ Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:19 pm

Kunga Lhadzom wrote:as a child...i remember a Buddha statue (incense burner) my mother had...i was mesmerized by it...

as a child...i remember hearing about Tibet on the t.V....caught my attension...

as a child i absolutely loved watching 'Kung Fu" on t.v....wanted so much to emerse myself in this stuff...

high school...very interested in India & Eastern religion/philosophy

college & beyond...experimented with drugs...to explore my mind.. like a scientific experiement....had only peaceful/spiritual experiences...

in 1995 i read an article in the Asian American press about a Tibetan nun that died from being torchered in a Chinese prison....soon after i got a book about Tibetan Buddhism...read it on & off for about 7 years....then i felt ready to find a teacher...i prayed to Buddha...the next day i talked to my teacher on the phone...i talked to him for about a year...then i met him.....took refuge in 2003 with HH Sakya Trizen....

Now i get overwhelmed a lot...
My interest wanes...like the waxing of the moon...
No interest in rituals....
Still in close contact with my teacher...

We are closer vajra siblings than I realized, dear Kunga. I took refuge with HE Jetsun Kushok.

Bow
LauraJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Kunga Lhadzom Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:35 pm

LOL...i didn't even know you were of the Sakya lineage until after i called you my Vajra sister !!! (read it somewhere on this form)

i recieved Green/White(?) empowerment from HE Jetsun Kushok..._/\_
also HH Luding Kenchen Rinpoche _/\_

_/\_
Kunga Lhadzom
Kunga Lhadzom

Back to top Go down

Post by LauraJ Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:48 pm

That is so awesome! Isn't Jetsunma marvelous? And of course HHST and HH Luding Kenchen Rinpoche as well. How auspicious and meritous for you! You obviously have past life connections :worship:

I received Hevajra and Vajrayogini from my kind guru Kushok la :dancing:
LauraJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Kunga Lhadzom Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:08 pm

i recieved a few other empowerments and blessings...my teacher recived hundreds ....

i have no more desire to recive anymore empowerments
it's hard enough to practice the ones i have now...
and i don't even do them anymore
don't even meditate

i'm taking a break...lol

i guess just contact with my teacher is all i can handle now....

i bow to you dear Drolma !!!!!!!

Love,

Kunga
Kunga Lhadzom
Kunga Lhadzom

Back to top Go down

Post by LauraJ Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:47 pm

Kunga Lhadzom wrote:i recieved a few other empowerments and blessings...my teacher recived hundreds ....

i have no more desire to recive anymore empowerments
it's hard enough to practice the ones i have now...
and i don't even do them anymore
don't even meditate

i'm taking a break...lol

i guess just contact with my teacher is all i can handle now....

i bow to you dear Drolma !!!!!!!

Love,

Kunga

I understand way more than you'd imagine. We only do our best, take a break when you need to. I know that sounds cliche but I really mean it. You can always just say a tiny bit of mantra every day too until you resume things, if you're up to it eventually.

Om Tare Tuttare Ture Mama Ayuh Punya Jnana Pustim Kuru Svaha
Om Tare Tuttare Ture Svaha
Bow

Love,
Drolma
LauraJ

Back to top Go down

Post by muni Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:43 am

Am wondering in how far Buddhism is "choice". Just going along the stream, maybe already sitting on the train? Palms
muni

Number of posts : 449
Registration date : 2009-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down