The Buddhist Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Diety worship in vajrayana?

4 posters

Go down

Diety worship in vajrayana? Empty Diety worship in vajrayana?

Post by LauraJ Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:12 pm

Hi folks,

Do you think that without at least some understanding of emptiness, it would be easy for people to fall into some sort of diety-worship in TB? That seems like it would be very unfortunate.

Just a thought I had-any input is appreciated.

:meditate:
LauraJ

Number of posts : 791
Registration date : 2008-12-24

http://www.buddhistlounge.com

Back to top Go down

Diety worship in vajrayana? Empty Re: Diety worship in vajrayana?

Post by malalu Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:27 am

First, I have to say that I am not "that" far along the road yet, so I cannot speak from direct experience on those practices. From some reading and a few talks (that didn't go into much detail of course), I (think I...) have a little bit of an understanding though.
It would be unfortunate, to say the least , but isn't it a responsibility of a good and wise teacher to ensure that the student is first ready and then has a proper understanding of the practices? Some would know this answer much better than I. But then again, Drolma that wasn't really your question was it!
So I'd say to the wrong person with an ignorant view it could seem that way. The more experienced could probably answer better than I on this one...
malalu
malalu

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by dorje Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:27 am

To answer Drolma, if one doesn't have the correct understanding of emptiness, then deity practices will not be appropriate. It will be misunderstood to become something which Christians think: that we are praying to external gods and goddesses which have power over us, and that these god and goddesses will punish us for whatever wrongdoings we do.

And I agree, Malalu, that it's the responsibility of a good and wise teacher to ensure the student is ready. It is, however a greater responsibility for the student to ensure the teacher is good and wise and suitable for him.
dorje
dorje

Number of posts : 71

Back to top Go down

Post by sherab zangpo Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:40 am

stong pa nyid (sunyata) emptiness.

I think that this alone is useless. Without compassion, meditating on a deity leads one astray, drags the deity into a fetter, strong attachment, anger and twisted mantras follow. One should take this simple advice to heart, whether one is new or an established practitioner.

sherab
sherab zangpo
sherab zangpo

Number of posts : 578

http://trondu.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down