The Buddhist Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sect bashing

+2
Kunga Lhadzom
LauraJ
6 posters

Go down

Sect bashing Empty Sect bashing

Post by LauraJ Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:57 am

I've become easily annoyed with sect-bashing lately. I used to be a little more patient about it and it didn't used to bother me so much. Maybe it's just a phase.

Any wise words to share, folks?

:beard:
LauraJ

Number of posts : 791
Registration date : 2008-12-24

http://www.buddhistlounge.com

Back to top Go down

Sect bashing Empty Re: Sect bashing

Post by Kunga Lhadzom Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:04 pm

it's so childish....i know i'm beyond perfection..but i have no interest in sect bashing....but i bash my mother (behind her back) saying bad things about her....so whom am i too point my finger at anyone......we're only human
Kunga Lhadzom
Kunga Lhadzom

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2009-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post by retrofuturist Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:06 am

Greetings Drolma,

Drolma wrote:I've become easily annoyed with sect-bashing lately. I used to be a little more patient about it and it didn't used to bother me so much. Maybe it's just a phase.

I find I can pretty much 'take or leave' what others have to say, and if I see them sect-bashing it's obvious that it says more about them (and potentially their own tradition), than the tradition they're criticizing.

There is a time and a place for legitimate criticism and questioning of different sects, but it should never be gratuitous or with an intention to harm or denigrate others.

Metta,
Retro. Smile
retrofuturist

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-12-27

http://www.dhammawheel.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by LauraJ Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:37 pm

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Drolma,

Drolma wrote:I've become easily annoyed with sect-bashing lately. I used to be a little more patient about it and it didn't used to bother me so much. Maybe it's just a phase.

I find I can pretty much 'take or leave' what others have to say, and if I see them sect-bashing it's obvious that it says more about them (and potentially their own tradition), than the tradition they're criticizing.

There is a time and a place for legitimate criticism and questioning of different sects, but it should never be gratuitous or with an intention to harm or denigrate others.

Metta,
Retro. Smile

Wise words indeed. Thank you muchly Very Happy
LauraJ

Number of posts : 791
Registration date : 2008-12-24

http://www.buddhistlounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by malalu Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:45 am

Yes, there will be those that are so attached to their views, traditions, etc., that they feel the need to judge one sect or tradition and to take away from it. I feel that to be a Buddhist practitioner, we each have some karma with a teacher, tradition, etc. Some forget or may not realize this. I think we should be very happy for those who have been fortunate the chance to learn Dharma no matter what tradition or sect it may be.
malalu
malalu

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by christopher::: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:35 am

retrofuturist wrote:

Drolma wrote:

That's how I feel as well.

:yoda:
christopher:::
christopher:::

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2009-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by muni Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:48 am

Sect "bashing" is acting on impulse of their own defilements, which are creating their own suffer. No intrinsically bad but there are momentary defilements passing the revue.

"Their weapons and my body
Both are causes of my torment!
They their weapons (bashing words), I my body brandished;
Who then is more worthy of my rage?" Shantideva.
muni

Number of posts : 449
Registration date : 2009-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum