The Buddhist Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Meditation Posture/technique?

4 posters

Go down

Meditation Posture/technique? Empty Meditation Posture/technique?

Post by UrizenInTheSun Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:18 pm

Being a "noob" to Buddhism, I was wondering if there are any "correct" postures or meditation techniques. When I meditate, I sit cross-legged, with my hands resting on my knees, and I generally just focus on my breathing. I've found this to be immensely relaxing and it has become an invaluable way to start my work day, though sometimes I worry that I may be doing something "wrong." I've heard that some people chant; should these mantras be made up, tailered to oneself, or should they come from some of the official writings?

Thanks in advance for any tips/advice!
UrizenInTheSun

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2009-02-23

Back to top Go down

Meditation Posture/technique? Empty Re: Meditation Posture/technique?

Post by malalu Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:40 pm

While I am certainly not a teacher, perhaps I can give my suggestions nonetheless. I would usually always recomend finding a meditation teacher or class if at all possible. That being said, I would not want to discourage you from practicing if for some reason you don't find one. Keep it up!
In the mean time, I would try to sit with your back fairly straight, but relaxed and try to relax your shoulders. Some teach hands on the knees, so should be OK for now.
Yes, some use mantras as a form of meditation object, but they usually have a deeper meaning in the practice as well. Mantras are used in some meditation practices, but from my experience many are usually given with a transmission from a teacher of a lineage.

This may be useful for you to look at. Phakchock Rinpoche, head of the Taklung Kagyu lineage gives a talk on some of the basic ideas of meditation...There are continuing parts of this talk as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei-iuBnjLXo

In the meantime, you could realx, try to focus on your breath and as you notice your mind wandering off in your thoughts, just calmly try to focus on the breath again without being discouraged. This could at least give you an object of meditation to occupy your mind.

That's great that you have begun to practice! Keep it going!

Edit by sherab zangpo
malalu
malalu

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by UrizenInTheSun Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:31 am

Thanks Malalu!

That's very helpful; If I'm not doing things perfectly correct at this point, its certainly nice to know that I'm not way off the mark.

Boy, that gentleman Phakchok Rinpoche exemplifies why I've become so interested in Buddhism; he's so calm, collected, and completely friendly. Very pleasant folks, those Buddhist monks.

Thanks again!
UrizenInTheSun

Back to top Go down

Post by malalu Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:23 am

You're welcome. There are probably more profound teachings and different techniques, but this is a good starter, in a talk geared for everyday people interested in meditation. I enjoy Rinpoche because he his young, and has had to learn about himself and his emotions as we all do. This seems to make it easier for both Buddhists and non Buddhists to relate to him. A good sense of humour as well!

Keep practicing!
😄
malalu
malalu

Back to top Go down

Post by malalu Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:54 pm

Thought this could be of use as well. It is a short basic explaination and instruction on meditation by HH Dalai Lama.

http://buddhism.kalachakranet.org/Meditations/dalai_lama_meditation.html
malalu
malalu

Back to top Go down

Post by kowtaaia Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:11 pm

UrizenInTheSun wrote:Being a "noob" to Buddhism, I was wondering if there are any "correct" postures or meditation techniques. When I meditate, I sit cross-legged, with my hands resting on my knees, and I generally just focus on my breathing. I've found this to be immensely relaxing and it has become an invaluable way to start my work day, though sometimes I worry that I may be doing something "wrong." I've heard that some people chant; should these mantras be made up, tailered to oneself, or should they come from some of the official writings?

Thanks in advance for any tips/advice!

You might not like what you read at the following link, but you should consider it.

http://www.omalpha.com/jardin/krishnamurti-en.html
kowtaaia
kowtaaia

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by UrizenInTheSun Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:00 am

Thanks for the link! It was an interesting read. A bit different from some of the other things that I've been reading, but certainly thought-provoking. I really appreciate the help! 😄
UrizenInTheSun

Back to top Go down

Post by Jinzang Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:03 am

Lama Gursam visited us last weekend to hold a weekend meditation retreat. He also gave two talks explaining meditation practice. Here's an extract from one of them:

Why is awareness so important? Because it is the nature of wisdom. You may meditate because you want peace. All sorts of expectations can arise in your mind. It is possible that you may experience peace, but most of the time you will not? Why? It's not a problem with the meditator. At the beginning there may be a sense of calm and peace. But after a while your mind will seem even worse than before. Even though your mind may seem worse, actually it is better.

So you must keep the continuity of a practice, like a river. Regardless of whether your mind seems better or worse than before, you should continue practice, and you will improve. It's like washing your clothes or dishes. If you wash them regularly, it won't be difficult. But if you don't it will be difficult to clean them. When I was in retreat, I would wear the same clothes for a month. When I returned, I had to soak them in hot water for six or seven hours before I started to wash them. Even then I had to wash them several times.

The reason why your mind seems worse after meditating for a while is that your emotional problems are coming to the surface. It's important to let what needs to come out, come out. Try not to judge your thoughts. And do not chase after them or hold onto them. If you follow this instruction, meditation becomes very easy. When these emotions come up, hold on strongly to your mental focus. If your mind is calm, your focus can be more relaxed. All meditators experience emotional upset and crying when they practice. Let this be and afterwards there will be peace.
Jinzang
Jinzang

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down