The Buddhist Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is the Dharma only found in Buddhism?

+3
Element
caz namyaw
christopher:::
7 posters

Go down

Is the Dharma only found in Buddhism? Empty Is the Dharma only found in Buddhism?

Post by christopher::: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:27 pm

Hello friends,

Is the dharma only found in Buddhism or can elements be found in most other religious traditions and spiritual paths as well? My own view is that the complete dharma is only found in Buddhism but that a great many dharmic seeds, practices, hints and insights lie in any tradition that helps to move people away from judgementalness, violence, hedonism and selfishness in the direction of peace, love, kindness, self-discipline, compassion and a sense of universal sisterhood/brotherhood.

How could this be so? I figure, since all beings have Buddha Nature, might not all wise views and actions flow from that same Buddha wisdom? If so, anything wise has its roots in the universal dharma.

What do you think?

Wink

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2009-01-01

Back to top Go down

Is the Dharma only found in Buddhism? Empty Re: Is the Dharma only found in Buddhism?

Post by caz namyaw Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:58 pm

Buddha dharma is found only in buddhism other religions have similarities but differ in their approach.

peace

xxx
caz namyaw
caz namyaw

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Is the Dharma only found in Buddhism? Empty Re: Is the Dharma only found in Buddhism?

Post by Element Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:48 am

What do I think?

The word dharma literally means 'that which supports', 'that which maintains', 'that which uplifts'.

All religions are forms of dharma. In the West, the word 'religion' is used to categorise dharma. However, in India, the word 'dharma' is used to categorise religion. Therefore, all Indian religions, whether theistic or non-theistic, use the word 'dharma'.

Now Buddha-Dhamma is something unique. It pertains to The Four Noble Truths & the teachings connected to Emptiness. As such Buddha-Dhamma is complete. Religions that have only reached the level of love & oneness are still incomplete

rendeer
Element

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post by zenzen Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:49 pm

What do I think?

There is something that connects all religions. It is a quality of reality, life and universe. As such, it may not be known becouse it is in it's nature not to be known. It is untouchable by thought yet all thought and phenomena are aspects of it. Everyone talks about it with different terms because it's the source of all form. As such, every religion is a form born out of that unknown. That unknown should not be given a name, not even 'unknown'.

Give it a name, it'll take a form and a new thought-system-religion is born instantly. Similarly, no religion, science or thought system may claim to be superior to others. And in the same sense no other structure of thought system is inferior to others.

Respectfully, this is what I think.
zenzen
zenzen

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Will Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:16 pm

The buddhadharma is the surest path to truth or reality of our nature.

Other paths of traditional religions can lead to higher deva realms and sublime blissful states of samadhi. But even the Rishis of old, when not in a state of samadhi, manifested some or all of the three poisons of greed, anger or delusion. Those sublime meditative states only supress or mask our afflictions. Only the Path of Dharma will remove all our afflictions.
Will
Will

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post by LauraJ Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:02 pm

I'll go with that. Buddhadharma is very specific to the teachings of Buddha Shakyamuni (or Gotama Buddha). The word dharma translated may have a looser application.

I believe that buddhadharma was completely radical and there's nothing like it to be found in other religions. I haven't studied every religion in the world, but I have read that the Buddha's teachings were a huge departure from anything else world religions had put forth. And possibly what most religions have put forth since the time of the Buddha.

/\
LauraJ

Number of posts : 791
Registration date : 2008-12-24

http://www.buddhistlounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by christopher::: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:36 am

Thanks all for your responses!

:^)

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2009-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by muni Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:35 am

zenzen wrote:What do I think?

There is something that connects all religions. It is a quality of reality, life and universe. As such, it may not be known becouse it is in it's nature not to be known. It is untouchable by thought yet all thought and phenomena are aspects of it. Everyone talks about it with different terms because it's the source of all form. As such, every religion is a form born out of that unknown. That unknown should not be given a name, not even 'unknown'.

Give it a name, it'll take a form and a new thought-system-religion is born instantly. Similarly, no religion, science or thought system may claim to be superior to others. And in the same sense no other structure of thought system is inferior to others.

Respectfully, this is what I think.

_/\_ _/\_ 🙏
muni

Number of posts : 449
Registration date : 2009-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down