The Buddhist Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dealing with Intolerant Buddhists

+4
davcuts
Karma Dondrup Tashi
LauraJ
christopher:::
8 posters

Go down

Dealing with Intolerant Buddhists Empty Dealing with Intolerant Buddhists

Post by christopher::: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:17 am

Hi all,

I don't want to open a can of worms here but since arriving at Buddhist internet forums there are many of us who have had to deal with intolerance from fellow Buddhists. Anyone have any opinions for why this happens?

To be honest I think that the experience has been "educational." I've become more tolerant of the intolerance of others. But at the same time it seems to be a problem that should perhaps be addressed.

At one of the Internet's leading Buddhist forums this issue has led to the banning of people from one school by those in others. How much responsibility does a person have to keep their views to themself, and to refrain from voicing alternative ideas? How much responsibility do the mods of a forum have to be tolerant of a diversity of views among fellow Buddhists?

If we are angered by intolerance, how do you deal with that and who's responsibility is it?

:can:

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2009-01-01

Back to top Go down

Dealing with Intolerant Buddhists Empty Re: Dealing with Intolerant Buddhists

Post by LauraJ Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:03 am

Dear Christopher,

I had an experience (not at the leading Buddhist forum) that brought this issue to the forefront of my mind.

I investigated it, found where the anger arose and fell, and it became much less significant to me. I suspect that in this case the Internet voices might well be the voices of real-life Buddhists across the board.

I've never been involved in an organized religion before in any real sense. But when I attended Shul, my Jewish friends made fun of Christians which bothered me. Eventually I stopped attending; it made me uncomfortable.

Hanging around Christian folk, I heard Jewish slurs aplenty. Yuck.

So it seems it's hardly a Buddhist issue, more of a human issue. People accidentally cling to what's "right." We need it, we crave it, we bond with others because of it.

In the end, I realized that my own faith was not strong enough to withstand criticism of my beliefs without anger, hurt, and reactiveness arising. I made friends with those feelings, and watched them pass like clouds in the sky. When they arise now, I just acknowledge that I'm experiencing my own resolutions about what I understand as "correct" and I tolerate those who have a different perception. And it has strengthened my faith a lot. I realize now that the dharma and my practice and beliefs are not a seperate thing outside of me at all. And I really am able to embrace tolerance of the intolerant.

I hope this helps in some way. I was glad for the experience.

Best,
Drolma
LauraJ

Number of posts : 791
Registration date : 2008-12-24

http://www.buddhistlounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by christopher::: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:21 am

Hi Drolma,

My experience has been similar to yours. I have found the experience has been helpful in identifying my own clinging, to views especially. The challenge has been how to respond to a kind of "institutionalized" intolerance, in a dharmic fashion.

This recent situation that I mention has been unsettling for many people who like myself gravitate towards Soto Zen Buddhism. People feel that "we" are perhaps being targeted, specifically.

That very view is a problem though!!

So it's quite challenging, to figure out how to assert or explain or confront, etc. without blaming others, getting caught up in the drama. Cause if we blame others specifically it seems like we then co-create drama with them, out of thin air.

:banghead: 🕳 :truce: :beard: :soapbox: :argue: geek

Back to top Go down

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:27 am

Everyone needs a Great Satan to keep themselves warm at night. Even Buddhists.
Karma Dondrup Tashi
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Number of posts : 51

Back to top Go down

Post by davcuts Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:28 am

What's wrong with Soto Zen? I know a certain Buddhist website is being sued for discrimination by a Soto Zen monk. That website then closed their Soto Zen forum. Is it because of intolerance, or does Soto Zen pose some kind of threat? I know the tradition I used to practice with harmed a lot of people. I am thankful for the websites that ban them. I don't feel I'm being intolerant. I just don't want others to suffer.

Take care,
Dave
davcuts
davcuts

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by floating syrian Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:11 am

Let's just be aware of the Terms of Service with regard to Personal Conduct:

PERSONAL CONDUCT
Any post containing attacks of the person when replying to an argument or factual claim by criticizing or appealing to a characteristic or belief of the person making the argument or claim, or attacking the character of person making the claim, his/her circumstances or actions, instead of addressing the substance of the argument or producing evidence against
the claim, will be moderated.
floating syrian

Number of posts : 192
Registration date : 2008-12-25

Back to top Go down

Post by malalu Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:40 am

I kind of feel if we are angered by intolerance, we must be exhibiting some intolerance within us as well. I'll say that seeing it has and does bother me at times. I still havn't conquered this within completely myself.
Deep down I feel intolerance in non-beneficial, and probably derives from negative emotions and point of views.
I am grateful to Drolma and the moderators for trying to display a good record of keeping intolerance from disruting this forum.

A member wrote in their "greeting introduction"

"I prostrate to my Theravada siblings for their wisdom regarding Lord Buddha's original, sufficient and foundational teachings. I prostrate to all Mahayana siblings in friendliness and respect. I prostrate to all earnest seekers of all traditions who are in need of comfort or answers. I prostrate to all Sangha everywhere - may this little mandala of sand be peaceful and positive and bring wisdom and compassion to all beings, everywhere. May all beings benefit. Dealing with Intolerant Buddhists Chant"

Don't think I could've said better myself...."May all sentient beings be in equanimity, free of bias, attachment and anger"

Om Mani Padme Hum!
malalu
malalu

Number of posts : 129

Back to top Go down

Post by zenzen Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:28 pm

Cristopher, Many people find inner silence to be very frightful and choose to spend their life talking and suffering than facing the inevitable fact: We are going to die. There is fear of death and thus, a tendency to seek shelter from some sorts of systems of thought. Anything that can push that fear a bit farther is good for a frightened mind. Very few have the guts to turn around and face the truth. Those who don't tend to become zealous sectarians and defend themselves with a shield of faith.But fear not. I have nothing to teach or criticize in you, me or anyone else. I'm a simple zen fool with very little useful knowledge. We're in a good company here, discussing things with insight and peaceful intent. Smile *respects everyone*
zenzen
zenzen

Number of posts : 52

Back to top Go down

Post by malalu Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:59 pm

You're very modest and humble, Zenzen. I like that quality. With no intention to teach, you share much insight and thought for reflection. Wink

With respect and tolerance comes the wisdom that we have all found our particular path's for similar reasons. Disregarding or trampling on others' ways brings us no further along.
malalu
malalu

Number of posts : 129

Back to top Go down

Post by muni Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:41 pm

Compassion. When people think they know something or are correct; they can get very full of "themselves" and not tolerate other views. Still, it seems that not knowing or not understanding brings intolerance.
We can practice tolerance and patience and not fly into a hot rage on a wild stream of irritations.
muni

Number of posts : 449
Registration date : 2009-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post by muni Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:54 pm

Practice not to throw with things. All that cleaning! :rottentomato:
muni

Number of posts : 449
Registration date : 2009-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post by christopher::: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:08 pm

Good thoughts, friends!!

Smile

I definitely have come to see that if intolerance bothers me, i am being intolerant. It's quite a wild little paradox.

Practice compassion and kindness, cultivate equanimity and patience.

What more can one really do?

:grouphug:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: