The Buddhist Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Three Jewels and Five Precepts

+2
Will
LauraJ
6 posters

Go down

The Three Jewels and Five Precepts Empty The Three Jewels and Five Precepts

Post by LauraJ Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:28 am

The Three Jewels and Five Precepts
buddha101.com

Three Jewels:

Despite the differences in the varieties of Buddhism, there are always the same three cornerstones which are called the Three Jewels. These are the Buddha, the Dharma which is the teaching of the Buddha, and the Sangha, which is the community who follow the teaching.

When a person accepts the Buddhist philosophy and wants to make it part of their life, the traditional way is to say "I take refuge in the Buddha, I take refuge in the Dharma, I take refuge in the Sangha."

The Dharma, the teaching of the Buddha is based on the Four Noble Truths and this is symbolised by the wheel. Originally, the Sangha was the monastic community and this was later to include all those following the Buddhist path.

The first jewel is the Buddha. To take refuge in the Buddha is not to hide in the safety of a powerful being. Refuge in this situation is more like moving to a new perspective, to a new awareness of the possibility within us all. By taking refuge in the Buddha, we align ourselves with the ability to become a Buddha ourselves, to seek the capacity to be awakened to what the Buddha experienced. This precious jewel reminds us to find our own Buddha nature.

The Dharma is the path which follows the teaching of the Buddha, and which will ultimately lead to awakening. The Dharma teaches us compassion for ourselves and others through an understanding of The Four Noble Truths and leads to a release from fear and ignorance. The path involves embracing the teaching of the Buddha and applying that understanding to everyday life. The Dharma is called the second jewel.

The Sangha comprises those who come together in any size group to study, discuss, practice meditation with a desire to help and be helped by that group. The Buddha saw that the interaction with others who are on the path as being essential for practice. He saw this as being important for ordained monks as well as those of the general community. The Sangha is the third precious jewel.

In the original teaching and in current Theravada communities, the Sangha refers only to the monks, nuns and other ordained teachers. The concept of Sangha is more broadly interpreted in many Mahayana and Western groups to include all those who embrace the Dharma as a community.

Five Precepts

Just as the Three Jewels forms the simple framework for the transmission of the Buddhist philosophy, the Five Precepts are the basic ethical guidelines for the followers of the philosophy.

The Five Precepts are not an absolute rigid set of rules, but provide a practical basis for good, ethical living which will produce the right environment in which to seek out our own truths.

The first precept is that of not intentionally killing living beings. We step on ants every day, and this isn’t really with any lack of care, and I doubt if its possible to avoid occasionally beating the odd cockroach to oblivion, however, the premeditated killing of other human and senseless killing of animals for sport certainly is not desirable for Buddhists. The primary goal of this precept is to develop concern for the safety and welfare of others and to have compassion for all living things.

The second precept is to take only what has been given. This is broader than not stealing, as it means returning borrowed items, and not taking unfair advantage even when it is still within the laws of the country. This means that you develop a sense of fair play, and generosity towards others.

The third precept often talks about sexual misconduct, but may also be interpreted as not misusing the senses. As the strongest drive after the survival instinct, the sexual drive will dominate our lives and cause much suffering unless directed wisely and skilfully. Living to excess, and in particular excessive eating, also causes grief. This precept encourages us to be content with more simple lives.

In the fourth precept we are encouraged not to speak falsely, not to lie, slander, misrepresent or to gossip maliciously. This teaches us to speak truthfully and kindly and to have positive motives when we approach a discussion.

The fifth precept is most important for today’s affluent Western society, and that is to avoid intoxicants. This includes alcohol, unnecessary drugs, and stimulants such as tobacco and caffeine. This precept is important to develop rational thinking and will allow the development of inner clarity needed for mindfulness.

As always, the Buddha was compassionate and pragmatic, and recommended these rather than dogmatically insisting that these five precepts were essential. But there is considerable good sense in each precept and by living with them every day, the way is then clear to be able to focus on the personal search for enlightened understanding.
LauraJ

Number of posts : 791
Registration date : 2008-12-24

http://www.buddhistlounge.com

Back to top Go down

The Three Jewels and Five Precepts Empty Re: The Three Jewels and Five Precepts

Post by Will Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:01 am

Bhikkhu Bodhi gives a more comprehensive and profound introduction to taking refuge in the Triple Jewel and the purpose and practice of the five precepts of a lay person:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/bodhi/wheel282.html#ref
Will
Will

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post by LauraJ Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:29 am

Nice, will! That is very comprehensive; I'll have to take my time with it.
LauraJ

Back to top Go down

Post by malalu Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:50 am

Hoping to ask a quick question regarding the precepts to someone who has experience. If I get the chance to meet my teachers Lama later this year, I will ask for refuge/precepts. If I don't meet him, I will consider it anyways elsewhere...

I do tend to abide by the precepts now anyways as I see good reason to do so. I do not wish to physically hrm, let alone kill anything, I am not a thief, have moral thoughts towards #3, and don't take intoxicants (aside from caffiene...The list above seems to suggest that this should be cast aside as well?..)

I have a question in regards to the fourth (speech). I am pretty honest and try to be truthfull or non-deceitful in speech. Most of the time there is no problem, though occasionally through unmindfulness a negative opinion or two may be said even though I have regard for those people. It is usually not with the direct intention of saying things to be mean, but let's say in a conversation discussing how someone is affecting other people. No cursing or threatening speech, of course. I know mindfulness all the time will help cure this, but I am probably not alone here.

Is it better karma to take the other four knowing that they will be followed, whereas this precept may not be followed to precision even though a good effort is made to do so? Do those who have taken the precepts consider this?

I will of course ask my teacher, but I was interested in your opinions as well.
malalu
malalu

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by sherab zangpo Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:02 am

Yes, in short you can take whatever vows you want. Take one, two or all five. You can even renew your refuge vows as often as one likes.
sherab zangpo
sherab zangpo

Number of posts : 578

http://trondu.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by dorje Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:14 am

Usually one takes on all 5 precepts, but you can concentrate on one or two at the moment, and slowly build up to include the others.

If you break any of the precepts, in the Mahayana tradition we have the Three Heap Sutra (also known as the Confessions to the 35 Buddhas) and other practices which allows you to confess your transgressions and retake the 5 precepts again

Or you can confess in front of a Buddha statue, and promise to be more mindful in the future and retake the 5 precepts.
dorje
dorje

Number of posts : 71

Back to top Go down

Post by malalu Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:18 am

Thanks Sherab, Dorje.

Sherab, Dorje, if one does not take all the precepts, then later decides to take the rest, must it be done with the same preceptor?

This does seem trivial in one sense, but in another I believe the vows have a great purpose and strength in practice.
malalu
malalu

Back to top Go down

Post by sherab zangpo Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:27 am

My limited understanding is, of course, if conditions are right, then one can do so, if on the other hand circumstance does not prove right, then taking precepts with another teacher is equally fine, ones preceptor does not automatically make one their root teacher. There is no fault in taking precepts from different teachers.

The important thing is ones intention and motivation at time of precepts. One must see the teacher as one would see the Buddha himself.

Bring an offering with you, a white scarf, or some money in an envelope. Or offer something that is pleasing to yourself. That is always a great tendril, a connection.

really all the best M.

sherab.
sherab zangpo
sherab zangpo

Back to top Go down

Post by dorje Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:34 am

As said, there's no need to take only one precept and then later on take the rest.

The beauty of it is that when you take the precepts, you take all 5. Then from there you just decide which one(s) you want to concentrate on.

Of course, it doesn't harm if you can formally take the precepts over and over again.

And it doesn't need to be with the same preceptor. THe 5 precepts are pretty much universal.
dorje
dorje

Number of posts : 71

Back to top Go down

Post by Will Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:48 am

malalu,

You are right that these vows are powerful. That is why it is important not to take any that you will be breaking often. Breaking a vowed precept not to lie brings more bad karma than just telling a lie, with no vow ever taken.

The vows are given to yourself, not to the refuge Master, so picking another one later on is OK.

One more thing about "breaking" a vow. It all has to do with motive, as you might expect. If you are not eager to lie, are remorseful that you did and promise to not do it again, then you have not broken the vow. But if you are lusting to lie, are happy that you did and do not care if you lie some more - then you have broken the vow.
Will
Will

Back to top Go down

Post by malalu Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:37 pm

Thanks, guys. Will this does clairify some. Being mindful of speaking about someone's negative qualities and reflecting on this later is certainly not being happy and carefree about it, and upon looking to improve and honestly trying not to do these things furthermore may not be breaking a vow, this makes sense.

In terms of the first precept, this makes sense as well. I never wish to harm any living being whatsoever, but as careful as I may be, I'm sure I must have stepped on a bug at some point (for example) but defineatly had no harmful intent, would not have been happy to do this on purpose. (I'm usually the one who tries to talk others out of killing bugs and spiders...) 😄

I'm not in the constant habit of speaking negatively, but I'm fairly sure most of us do at one point or another and needed clairification.
malalu
malalu

Back to top Go down

Post by malalu Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:45 pm

Sherab, You saved me a question!

I do like to show my appreciation to my teacher with a donation (and insence for example) when I attend a dharma teaching. When meeting my teacher's Lama these are some good suggestions on what to present to him. Some money would surely help his temple back home, while I think he would respect the true gesture of another offering. All in good time.

Thanks, M
malalu
malalu

Back to top Go down

Post by Antigen Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:57 pm

sherab zangpo wrote:Yes, in short you can take whatever vows you want. Take one, two or all five. You can even renew your refuge vows as often as one likes.

Which school do you refer to which says that one may "take" whatever numbers of vows one wishes?
Antigen
Antigen

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-02-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Will Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:31 pm

Antigen wrote:
sherab zangpo wrote:Yes, in short you can take whatever vows you want. Take one, two or all five. You can even renew your refuge vows as often as one likes.

Which school do you refer to which says that one may "take" whatever numbers of vows one wishes?

The Mahayana. See the Upasaka Precepts Sutra.

http://www.uhpress.hawaii.edu/cart/shopcore/?db_name=uhpress&page=shop/flypage&product_id=4537&category_id=b3e6237d1b1b3b8594488ed1c40d0dfb&PHPSESSID=24660777d6e1917dc80fd4d600fcef48
Will
Will

Back to top Go down

Post by Antigen Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:06 am

Will wrote:
Antigen wrote:

The Mahayana. See the Upasaka Precepts Sutra.

So sorry, I guess I must be painfully specific. Which school of Mahayana do you speak of? From what I have been taught, both the Linji and Caodong lineages of Ch'an consider all 5 precepts as part of taking refuge. From my understanding, the 5 are considered the minimum code of ethics for one who has taken refuge.
Antigen
Antigen

Back to top Go down

Post by Will Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:23 am

Schools do not give the Refuge & Precepts, individual gurus do. If the guru gives the option (admittedly rare nowadays) to take less than five, one can.

Here is one teacher who knows of this old tradition:

http://www.azbt.us/English/Dharma%20Ocean/Teaching%20Records/dharma_rain.htm
Will
Will

Back to top Go down

Post by Antigen Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:47 pm

Will wrote:Schools do not give the Refuge & Precepts, individual gurus do. If the guru gives the option (admittedly rare nowadays) to take less than five, one can.

So you do not feel that the precepts are given according to the teachings of the lineage? I would think that the monk would wish to be true to their school.

The link you provide is interesting. I will have to discuss this with my teacher and see what he says. It seems to me as though it is just catering to peoples weaknesses. Either you are a devotee or not.
Antigen
Antigen

Back to top Go down

Post by Will Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:10 pm

Antigen wrote:
Will wrote:Schools do not give the Refuge & Precepts, individual gurus do. If the guru gives the option (admittedly rare nowadays) to take less than five, one can.

So you do not feel that the precepts are given according to the teachings of the lineage? I would think that the monk would wish to be true to their school.

The link you provide is interesting. I will have to discuss this with my teacher and see what he says. It seems to me as though it is just catering to peoples weaknesses. Either you are a devotee or not.

I would hope that any Mahayana lineage would wish to help the aspiring new Buddhist. So if a person does not think they can keep some of the five precepts, why would they be forced to make a vow they cannot keep? They would end up creating more bad karma that way.

If you are really interested in precepts, you should try to read that Upasaka Precepts Sutra. It gives the preparation for taking those five lay vows that takes months. The modern-day 5 or 20 minute ceremony is pale and feeble compared to the old way.
Will
Will

Back to top Go down

Post by Antigen Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:03 pm

Will wrote:I would hope that any Mahayana lineage would wish to help the aspiring new Buddhist. So if a person does not think they can keep some of the five precepts, why would they be forced to make a vow they cannot keep? They would end up creating more bad karma that way.

If you are really interested in precepts, you should try to read that Upasaka Precepts Sutra. It gives the preparation for taking those five lay vows that takes months. The modern-day 5 or 20 minute ceremony is pale and feeble compared to the old way.

But taking refuge is not for the "aspiring new Buddhist". It is definitely for one that has decided that they truly wish to follow this path. And there is nothing in the 5 precepts that someone CANNOT keep, only what they would CHOOSE NOT to keep. It's all a matter of if one is willing to make the commitment to lead that devoted life.
Antigen
Antigen

Back to top Go down

Post by sherab zangpo Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:38 am

A lay practitioner, of which there are four types, can take all five precepts and keep them for life, or he/she can discuss with the preceptor which ones they would like to commit to. There really is no fault in that. Analyst vs Traditionalist perspectives regarding the personal liberation vows and refuge do not really occupy much in regards to debate. All schools agree on sutric refuge. The nature of the precepts are prohibitions and obligations. Some lay practitioners prefer to abstain from those vows which will be lost through not being able to maintain them. To argue that this is in some way inferior and therefore not a proper undertaking is to disparage the seriousness in which those aspirants take those precepts and their commitments.
sherab zangpo
sherab zangpo

Back to top Go down

Post by Antigen Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:39 pm

After some study, reflection and discussion, I have found that it doesn't really matter. Because essentially, in the long run it is that persons karma which is effected by the actions they choose to take. One cannot force another to cultivate more merit, only instruct them in the ways it can come about.

If one knows of all 5 precepts, yet chooses to only upkeep certain ones, they also know that they bring bad karma on themselves by not upholding the others.
Antigen
Antigen

Back to top Go down

Post by LauraJ Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:48 am

I think it is best for one to take vows that s/he is confident can be kept. Everyone goes at a different pace and it's good to really know what you're taking on. Ultimately we're making these vows to our selves, and we experience the outcomes/karmic fruit accordingly.

:namaste:
LauraJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum