The Buddhist Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EarlyTibet.com

3 posters

Go down

EarlyTibet.com Empty EarlyTibet.com

Post by LauraJ Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:20 pm

This site struck me as kind of strange. Maybe it's just the use of language, referencing "spells" and "magic." Any thoughts are appreciated.

:foilhat:
LauraJ

Number of posts : 791
Registration date : 2008-12-24

http://www.buddhistlounge.com

Back to top Go down

EarlyTibet.com Empty Re: EarlyTibet.com

Post by caz namyaw Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:22 pm

In the early ages there where many magic practise not like todays, magicians could create illusions lasting for days or even weeks, milrepa in his early days was under the tutalage of a dark magician.
People may not beleive in the existance of such literal magic, but just because you have not experienced it doesnt mean it cant be as real as your experience now.....appearence to mind.

peace

xxx
caz namyaw
caz namyaw

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by LauraJ Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:26 pm

Yes, thanks for the reminder about Milarepa, Caz. Maybe because I think occult activities are generally harmful, I tend to not associate them with buddhism. I know in many religions exorcism still takes place which is understandable. But why would early Tibetan Buddhism involve spells of any sort? Is this author confusing Bon with Buddhism?

:namaste:
LauraJ

Back to top Go down

Post by caz namyaw Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:36 pm

Drolma wrote:Yes, thanks for the reminder about Milarepa, Caz. Maybe because I think occult activities are generally harmful, I tend to not associate them with buddhism. I know in many religions exorcism still takes place which is understandable. But why would early Tibetan Buddhism involve spells of any sort? Is this author confusing Bon with Buddhism?

:namaste:

Well it depends by what you define as the occult its still very apparent thoughout tibetan buddhism today for example one could consider the pehar or nechung oracle part of the occult as that is a renowned spirit, well as you state perhapes they could be confusing tibetan buddhism with bon as it was the dominate form of spirituality before buddhism arrived in tibet, to my knowledge tibetan buddhism has never in this instance been involved in any black magics at all, in past times possessions, demonic manifestations and such where regular occurence still in some places of the world they can be found today where do you think all these myths and legends come from of creatures such as vampires and such, in the tara sadhana there is a verse about her subdueing zombies ! buddhas have no reason to deceive us, i think perhapes that due to certain differences of opinion that tibetan buddhism to those who do not do their research correctly can be identified heavily with bon as there was apparently much influence upon the bon from buddhism for example i apparently they adapted many images of buddhas and such into their religion so i beleive, so this is where general confusion could arise....some people even view bon as the 5th tradition of tibetan buddhism, but this is a very deluded view as entitled as they are to freedom of religion the supernatural force behind bon are the worldly spirits, gods and naga's and these are no appropriate objects of refuge....mostly likely you are right sometimes the line between bon and buddhism can seem to be very fine if you dont know your onions.

peace

xxx
caz namyaw
caz namyaw

Back to top Go down

Post by LauraJ Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:02 pm

Very nice points. Especially the reminder about zombies in the Tara sadhana. I wonder if Zangpo-la will swoop in with any history lessons. My interest is mainly academic, though I'll admit that I have a small aversion to black magic, occult, etc. and I'm hoping any relationship between those things and Buddhism is very frail.

I like the story of Milarepa because to me it's a story of recovery. He was involved in dark arts and had the karmic fruit to bear because of it, but he developed siddhis, and you know the rest of the story. If you've ever had trouble with other-realm stuff you know to avoid it like you'd avoid an infestation of fleas. At least that's been my experience.

queen
LauraJ

Back to top Go down

Post by caz namyaw Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:34 pm

Drolma wrote:Very nice points. Especially the reminder about zombies in the Tara sadhana. I wonder if Zangpo-la will swoop in with any history lessons. My interest is mainly academic, though I'll admit that I have a small aversion to black magic, occult, etc. and I'm hoping any relationship between those things and Buddhism is very frail.

I like the story of Milarepa because to me it's a story of recovery. He was involved in dark arts and had the karmic fruit to bear because of it, but he developed siddhis, and you know the rest of the story. If you've ever had trouble with other-realm stuff you know to avoid it like you'd avoid an infestation of fleas. At least that's been my experience.

queen

The other day i sat through a wishfufilling jewel session, some of the things in their that you are granted protection from are mind boggleing, vampires ! zombies ! forgetful makers ?! ect.....very strange just goes to show everything is an appearence to mind.
From my experience i have come into contact with a few evil spirits at the worst, when on a ghost walk they followed me and my father back home many miles away.....funnily enough i was reciting tara mantra all throughout it lol....i always though it wouldnt be to difficult to take care of the negative energy they carry the best way to clear out the host of mara's would be to invoke vajrapani or dharma protectors.

peace

xxx
caz namyaw
caz namyaw

Back to top Go down

Post by caz namyaw Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:42 pm

Heres a good story cannot remember the name of the master but here goes....
A local master was doing a Jetsongkhapa guru yoga retreat in the local mountain cave in the town rumour had spread of this masters arrival and those troubled by a local behar spirit went to him and asked him what to do as everytime this spirit came it would possess their son....the master told them to take one of his beads from his mala and put it at the door entrance when the spirit entered the house and then to call him once they had done so.....so when it happened they did and to their suprise the spirit became very frightened and desperate to leave the house creating all sorts of mayhem....the spirit saw the bead of the mala as yamantaka due to the master having attained a state of union with jetsongkhapa which is the same as having attained the state of union with yamantaka .....and the master said to him " Oh spirit how can you cause pain to these living beings when you cannot even stand pain to your self, if you do not cease your tormenting ways yamantaka will not let you go..." to which the spirit replied that it was the cheif behar spirit that had ordered him to harm these people and that he would be inturn harmed by the lord behar if he did no do as he had said, the master then said to him you must promise not to harm anyone who recites the Migtsema mantra, the spirit did so and so the Migtsema mantra provides protection from spirits.

peace

xxx
caz namyaw
caz namyaw

Back to top Go down

Post by sherab zangpo Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:44 pm

Here is the story from Lama Yeshes FMPT website, these types of antidotes have to be quoted verbatim, in case the story becomes twisted and the meaning lost.

In Tibet one great lama, Sherab Sengye, and his disciple Dulnagpa were meditating in a mountain valley called Se. In that valley there was a very wealthy family and the son was possessed by a type of spirit called gyalpo. They tried various means but nothing stopped the possession. One day the shepherd who looked after this family's animals told them, "Sometimes I see a big yak on the mountain and sometimes a monk." So they went to check the hermitage. They requested the lama there to come down and do something for their son. At first this lama did not accept. Again they insisted. So then the lama checked and saw it was time to subdue the mind of this sentient being and so he said, "I will check whether I can be of benefit or not; if I can benefit then I will come down. First take my shoes and one bead from my mala. Hang the shoes from the ceiling over where the son sits and leave the bead at the window. Then check what the son says." So they did that and the spirit king screamed because he had the appearance of a great mountain pressing down on him and the bead that lama had given appeared to him like there were terrifying wrathful deities around him. The spirit was screaming, "Now where should I stay?" So the family went to see the lama and explained this and so the lama realized that now he could control the spirit and benefit the son. So he came down and put the spirit under pledge. In front of that lama the spirit king promised to not give harm wherever migtsema is recited. Then the lama said, "If you don't keep this vow I will smash you into atoms immediately!" And the spirit king said, "You are a bodhisattva, so please have compassion for me: there are not so many places where migtsema is not being recited, so where should I go?" — he was only referring to Tibet, I think. I think the lama said to go to Italy! I'm joking! So, one of the particular benefits of migtsema practice is that this spirit promised to not harm whoever does this practice. The harm sometimes takes the form of sudden fainting or sometimes the eyes roll up and the person shakes. The way the person gets sick may not always be the same. So, Lama Tsongkhapa guru yoga practice is regarded as a great puja for the success of one's own dharma practice, as well as for others.

Sherab

Last edited by sherab zangpo on Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
sherab zangpo
sherab zangpo

Number of posts : 578

http://trondu.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by caz namyaw Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:29 am

Thanks for that sherab, although it seems either tale , underlines the importance of migtsema mantra and Tsongkhapa guru yoga.

peace

xxx
caz namyaw
caz namyaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: