The Buddhist Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why We Monks Don't Miss Sex

4 posters

Go down

Why We Monks Don't Miss Sex Empty Why We Monks Don't Miss Sex

Post by LauraJ Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:22 pm

Why We Monks Don’t Miss Sex
Interview with the Dalai Lama
By FEMI ADESINA, The Sun News Online, December 13, 2008

Lagos, Nigeria -- Spiritual leader of Tibet, the Dalai Lama, was in Nigeria a fortnight ago to deliver the 10th Anyiam-Osigwe Foundation lecture at the Nigerian Institute of International Affairs, NIIA, Victoria Island, Lagos.

The day after the lecture, Saturday Sun was in his hotel room for an interview, where he spoke on wide ranging issues – except politics. According to him, he was in the country to "promote human value and religious harmony," so political questions were ruled out.

The 14th Dalai Lama (real name, Tenzin Gyatso) is also a 1989 Nobel Peace Prize winner. He spoke about terrorism in the world, how the world can be a safer place, his role as a spiritual leader, healing powers, his opinion about Nigeria, among other issues.

The Dalai Lama is a Buddhist monk. That means no marriage, no sex. How does he cope? And does he ever get tempted by the opposite sex?

All the answers in the interview below:

At the Anyiam-Osigwe Foundation lecture which you came to deliver, you spoke about fear leading to a compromised immune system. Can you expatiate on it?

Actually, I’m not a scientist, but scientists have looked seriously into our emotions. They have found out that emotion and physical health are closely linked. Two patients with the same illness, but one patient is mentally happy, calm, more enthusiastic, and he recovers much faster. I think I belong to that category (laughs). The other patient with same situation, same illness, but too much worry, with a pessimistic attitude, does not recover, or takes a long time to recover.
And also for preventive measure, the person who is always fresh, confident, has better immune system. A scientist from an American university told me once that anger, very serious anger, is injurious to health. It leads to hatred, which eats up the immune system.

As a spiritual leader, do you have healing powers?
As a Buddhist monk, you study five different courses. Logic, craft, medicine, literature, Buddhist philosophy. But healing powers? No, no, no. If I had healing powers, then first I would heal myself of the gall bladder problem, for which I had surgery (laughs). But I had to go for modern technology. If I had healing power, I wouldn’t need that. It therefore means I have no healing powers. I’m very skeptical about such claims. Very, very skeptical. It does not mean people do not get healed miraculously. It happens. One of my French friends, who has been a Buddhist nun for about 30 years, told me that she got cured of some ailment in her hands. It may happen, but I’m very skeptical. By chance maybe, one or two. But you can’t say it’s definite.

Furthermore, Buddhists are more of scientists, rather than believers. Buddha himself made it clear that his followers should not accept his word, his teachings out of faith and devotion. Rather, they should investigate. So in 2,600 years of Buddhist history, many Buddhist masters have checked, investigated Buddha’s words. If we just accept Buddha’s own words, it will be contradictory to our own logical investigation. Even some people consider Buddha an ancient scientist. Since my childhood, I’ve had keen interest in science and technology. We must accept the reality, rather than what literature says. I have developed a keen interest in talking or meeting with scientists, and learning from them. I’m usually interested in learning four things: Cosmology, neurology, physics and psychology. Buddhism and science complement each other. An American lady friend once told me that science is a killer of religion, so be careful. I asked how. Buddhism itself emphasizes logic and reason. Experiment rather than faith. So there should not be any sort of contradiction.
I have keen interest in finding out reality. In my lecture, I mentioned that self, or ‘I’ is the center of the whole universe. But at the same time, it is good to investigate. What is self? No answer, we can’t find it.

Article continues here.
LauraJ

Number of posts : 791
Registration date : 2008-12-24

http://www.buddhistlounge.com

Back to top Go down

Why We Monks Don't Miss Sex Empty Re: Why We Monks Don't Miss Sex

Post by christopher::: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:46 pm

Drolma wrote:... Buddhists are more of scientists, rather than believers. Buddha himself made it clear that his followers should not accept his word, his teachings out of faith and devotion. Rather, they should investigate. So in 2,600 years of Buddhist history, many Buddhist masters have checked, investigated Buddha’s words. If we just accept Buddha’s own words, it will be contradictory to our own logical investigation. Even some people consider Buddha an ancient scientist. Since my childhood, I’ve had keen interest in science and technology. We must accept the reality, rather than what literature says. I have developed a keen interest in talking or meeting with scientists, and learning from them. I’m usually interested in learning four things: Cosmology, neurology, physics and psychology. Buddhism and science complement each other. An American lady friend once told me that science is a killer of religion, so be careful. I asked how. Buddhism itself emphasizes logic and reason. Experiment rather than faith. So there should not be any sort of contradiction.
I have keen interest in finding out reality. In my lecture, I mentioned that self, or ‘I’ is the center of the whole universe. But at the same time, it is good to investigate. What is self? No answer, we can’t find it.

Article continues here.

Hi Drolma,

I don't have time now to look at the whole article but this passage jumped out at me. I like the way his holiness thinks. Unfortunately, I don't think his open-minded approach to Buddhism is shared by all those who call themselves Buddhists.

drunken
christopher:::
christopher:::

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2009-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Element Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:03 am

This is merely the Dalai Lama advertising and feeding the chooks. However, if you then drop into one of his dhamma centres, you will be immersed by reincarnation theory. :ufo:

When I read Dalai Lama's views on homosexuality, why children are born with disabilities, etc, I did not consider him either scientific or open minded. alien
Element

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post by LauraJ Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:47 am

There was a questionable statement made once by HHDL about homosexuality. I will dig it up so we can discuss it openly. I feel sure that it can be explained.

:can:
LauraJ

Number of posts : 791
Registration date : 2008-12-24

http://www.buddhistlounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Element Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:09 am

Drolma wrote:There was a questionable statement made once by HHDL about homosexuality. I will dig it up so we can discuss it openly. I feel sure that it can be explained.

:can:
That is doubtful it can be explained. HHDL was quite specific and was rebuked publically, in the media, by a number of Theravaden monks, including Ajahn Brahm and the Venerable Ajahn Tejadhammo.

Often when HHDL speaks, other Buddhists must enter into damage control.

Did HHDL end slavery in Tibet, a land governed by monks?
Element

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post by muni Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:18 am

Ah! What a release to see a small light shining on the colors of own conceptualization. (own) Imagination can be explored now. :foilhat:
muni

Number of posts : 449
Registration date : 2009-01-27

Back to top Go down