The Buddhist Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maintaining the faith that things will change for the better

Go down

Maintaining the faith that things will change for the better Empty Maintaining the faith that things will change for the better

Post by LauraJ Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:50 am

Maintaining the faith that things will change for the better
By Jakucho Setouchi, Mainichi Shimbun, December 24, 2008

Kyoto, Japan -- The selection of one "kanji" (Chinese character) that best represents the year has become an established tradition in Japan in recent years.

This year, the character, "hen," whose meanings include "change" and "strange," was chosen from the numerous ideas that were submitted for consideration. Per tradition, Seihan Mori, chief priest at the Kiyomizu Temple in Kyoto, boldly wrote the character with a brush and ink in a ceremony.

Indeed, there were no shortages of extraordinary natural phenomena including earthquakes, extreme weather, floods, typhoons, and tornadoes. In addition, we experienced ceaseless wars and almost daily suicide bombings.

There was no respite from the constant fear of a changing world. The notion of the South Pole melting, resulting in floods the entire world over, has grown into more than just a notion.

But like Noah's Ark, if God or Buddha were suddenly to appear and tell me that he would save me and only me, would I be happy? Where is the joy in surviving after everyone I love has perished? It is our encounters and connections with other people that make life worth living. If I alone were to survive, I would go mad with loneliness.

Article continues...
LauraJ

Number of posts : 791
Registration date : 2008-12-24

http://www.buddhistlounge.com

Back to top Go down